In Building a Shoot Part II, I talked a little bit about my questionnaire, which I consider to be the foundation of the creative consultation conversation.
Over the years I've come across several questions to ask clients to help them get the most from their session and to help tailor the shoot to fit their unique style. Several of these questions I've collected from other photographers, and some I have come to through my own experiences.
My questionnaire serves a few purposes:
It helps me to get to know a little bit about my clients.
This not only helps me style their shoot, it also provides me with insights that help me create a shoot space that they are comfortable in and make space for their unique beauty to shine.
It helps me understand what about my photographic style inspired them to contact me.
Was it documentary or styled shots? Wide angles to tell the story or close crops to highlight the subject? Posed or prompted reality? Light and playful, or dark and moody? The information I get from the images they are drawn to in my portfolio, along with the rest of their questionnaire, helps me to decide the direction of their shoot.
It also gives me an idea of how they want to display their photos, which helps me to decide how I'm going to shoot. For example; for a wall collection or an album, I will shoot with the story in mind while for a large canvas, I will shoot stand-alone images that highlight my subject(s).
And now onto my children and family questionnaire...
- Contact Information (name, address, email, phone, etc.)
- Describe your style in one word. (modern, rustic, traditional, casual, natural, artsy...)
- Do you have a vision, inspirations, or ideas for the shoot?
- When was the last time you had portraits taken?
About The Kiddos:
- What are the name(s) and age(s) of each child in the shoot?
- Chose one word to describe each child.
- Does he/she prefer solitude or more interactive play?
- What does his/her imaginary play look like?
- What makes him/her light up?
- What is your favorite way to spend a Saturday together?
- What is your favorite bedtime story?
About The Photos:
- What images or sessions in my portfolio really stand out to you? Why?
- Is there anything you want to make absolutely sure we capture during your session?
- How do you plan to display your photos? Album? Wall Art?
- How did you hear about us?
- Is there anything else you would like us to know?