5 Tips to Help Take the Stress Out of Your Next Family Photo Session
- Comfy clothes & location: Staring down the business end of a lens can be intimidating enough, without trying to do it in stiff uncomfortable clothes or in a location that doesn’t leave space to feel free to be oneself.
- Get some rest: We’re all in better spirits when we’ve gotten enough sleep. A good night’s rest or 2 or 5 is fabulous preparation for a stupendous shoot!
- Prepare the littles: Talk to your kids in the week preceding the shoot. Get them comfortable with the idea, let them know both what to expect and what is expected of them. Most importantly, let them know it’s going to be a great time. Build their excitement so they arrive confident and ready to have fun. (And please, no threats. Your photographer doesn't want to end up in the same category as your dentist)
- Cheese is welcome…: with your crackers. Snacks and small breaks are a welcomed and encouraged part of the fun, but please, please, please don’t tell your kids to ‘say cheese’. Authentic smiles just don’t come from it. And besides, that’s part of why you’ve hired a professional, isn’t it? To get the shot. Which leads us to our last tip of the day…..
- Relax: Step back and let your photographer work her magic. Don’t let yourself get too caught up in the final product, try to relax and enjoy the experience of the shoot. Kids will be kids and your photographer knows this. And is prepared for this. And can work with them (Unless you’ve hired a pet photographer or landscape photographer or something of the sort, in which case..um…. just tell everyone to ‘say cheese’ and hope for the best?). What parent doesn’t want perfectly behaved kids? How many parents actually wind up with perfectly behaved kids? I bet those numbers are incredibly disproportionate. So go into the shoot knowing that your kiddos are gonna be silly, they’re gonna get bored, they will have uncooperative moments (sometimes strings of them), but rest easy in the knowledge that you’ve hired a professional and that professional will deliver quality images much like the ones you fell in love with in their portfolio.